Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jesus + nothing

24 So when the crowd saw that Jesus was not there, nor his disciples, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum, seeking Jesus. 25 When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?” 26 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. 27 Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” 28 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” - John 6

God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. - C.S. Lewis


Every day, I wearily, fruitlessly, search for personal happiness, freedom, strength, peace -- whether within myself, within my community, or in other peoples' words. I swim across the sea and arrive at Capernaum, looking for false hope...quick fixes to my hunger for something real. I'm allured by the same old same old, captivated by the worldly wise, impressed with my own ability to simulate some degree of okayness, and then utterly discouraged when all of this fails me. What can I do to make myself feel okay about myself again? There's nothing I can do that will solve this problem completely, because I was never meant to live for myself.

But then even when I realize this, I want to tack things on to my relationship with Jesus. Jesus + my own efforts. Jesus + the compliments of others. This is where I truly miss the boat.

Christ and his fullness are all that I can hope in. I gain from him, because he is complete. As much as I try (and will continue to try) to make amends with myself and lick my wounds, I'm lost without his salvation, grace, and completion.

Oh heart, believe and trust on Him again this morning -- He is all you need.

No comments: