Tuesday, September 23, 2008

All this talk about numbers

Sometimes I don't pay attention to my verbage. I use the word "awesome" to describe something that is nice, and I use "horrible" to denote something that is relatively bad.

I admit I haven't really paid much attention to the words being used on Wall Street and Congress... until recently... when someone shared with me this analogy:

1 million seconds = 11 days
1 billion seconds = 32 years
1 trillion seconds = 317 centuries

If you use copy paper...
1 million sheets = 330 feet
1 billion sheets = 62 miles
1 trillion sheets = 62,000 miles
(the earth's circumference is 24,900 mi.)

My mouth is still dropping.

1 comment:

Xmwjdjdj said...

I agree. When we hear numbers in the billions and trillions it becomes really hard to fathom really how much that is. I still feel really good if I have a $100 bill in my pocket so the sheer volume of those numbers is lost on me.